Sunday, April 21, 2013

Mentor Text [Science]

I'm linking up again with Collaboration Cuties for their Mentor Text Linky! This week's topic is Science. I actually really like teaching Science, but I don't have a lot of time during the day for it. 

A book I've used this year to teach about the Moon is One Giant Leap by Dana Meachen Rau. 

ImageThis book follows Tomas to the National Air and Space Museum with his friends. When he goes to look at the Apollo Lunar Module, he is transferred back in time to the 1960's and he becomes Neil Armstrong. The book is incredibly informative regarding the first moon landing. From Amazon:

A child's imaginary trip aboard the Apollo 11 and the infamous first walk on the moon in the shoes of famous astronaut Neil Armstrong gives listeners the chance to learn about this historic moment. Two boys and two girls are on a trip to the National Air and Space Museum when Tomas is transported back in time.

 

After reading this book, we continued to learn about the phases of the moon. We also were able to create the phases of the moon using Oreos! I found the idea from Pinterest. Click on the picture to take you to the original pin, where you can find a great printable! I had the kiddos use a popsicle stick to scrape the creme and form it. They loved this activity!

Image

Image

 

I hope everyone had a fabulous weekend and has a great Monday!

Image

 

Image

3 comments:

  1. I wish 4th grade taught more of this concept (it is covered well in 3rd grade) because I keep seeing this activity it looks like SO much fun! Thanks for sharing:)
    ~Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for talking about this book! I have not heard of it! We did an extended text using Who is Neil Armstrong and this would be a great extra book for kids to use. We do the oreo moon phases as well! So fun!

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding this book to my growing list! Yummy activity for the phases of the moon.
    Fabulous Fifth Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete